Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Breadtime Stories

Do you eat bread every day?  I think we go through a loaf a day.  We work hard at watching every penny and many times have to by the 78cent per loaf of sandwich bread.  I actually make my own bread, which many think is an art.  For me, it is a necessity.  In fact, I am not an artist when it comes to dough.  I think I just found a couple of recipes that really work for me.  I also use my KitchenAid and it does all the work for me anyway!  :-) 

So this week is really tight budget-wise for us.  We are watching every penny and actually very thankful to be on our fast, so we have no excuses to stay home and not spend any money.  Having said all that.... 

I was making a loaf of bread this morning for the day.  Remember the loaf a day thing?  I was serious about that.  So I have my bread rising in the oven - no it's not on, but it's cold in here and it rises well in the oven.  Hubby comes down to make his lunch and promptly walks out the door to go buy his 78 cent loaf of bread.  Really?  Cheap bread over my homemade?  **sigh**  Honestly he was running out of time and had to get to work.  But I finished my bread, and we ate 3/4 of the loaf at dinner (my son was here too!). 

So, I'll make another loaf tomorrow and we'll have plenty for dinner and sandwiches for lunch too.  This all just made me think.  We eat a lot of bread in this house!! 

And....  on to the recipe.  I found this somewhere on the internet.  I hand wrote it down, so honestly I did not make this up but I have no idea where it came from. 

White Sandwich Bread

This bread makes the closest to a loaf of store bought sandwich bread that I've found.

I put 1 c flour in my KitchenAid bowl.  I add 1/4 oil, 1/4 c sugar, 3/4 t salt, 1 1/4 t yeast (or 1 packet).  I then add 1 c minus 2 T warm water.  I typically measure the water in a plastic measuring cup and heat in the microwave for 20 seconds or so.  If it's too hot it will kill the yeast so be careful with this. 

I mix on the lowest setting with the dough hook just enough to mix it well.  Then I add 2 more c of flour, leave it on the lowest setting and set the timer for 10 minutes.  When the timer goes off, I take the dough and form a ball.  Cover the bowl, and set in the oven (not on) for one hour. 

After the hour, shape in to a loaf and put in a loaf pan.  Let rise another hour.  Cook for 30 min at 350.  Cool on a rack.  Eat your bread!

Seriously, this is basically throw it in the bowl, turn on the mixer for 10 minutes and rise twice.  That's it!  Super easy and great for sandwiches or meals.  Mmmmm...  and there is just nothing like homemade bread wafting through the house. 

Well, that's my bread story.  I ran a mile today and worked the machines and now my muscles are hating me...  I'm going to have my bedtime hot tea and get ready for tomorrow.  Life is good and I am blessed!!

Living the Blessed Life,

~ Jessica

No comments: