Sunday, January 10, 2010

Fasting, Slippers and Sewing

Have I mentioned we are fasting this month?  We are participating in a 21 day fast and devotional with our church.  It's completely voluntary, and for us, we felt called to do it.  So, after much thought and prayer, we are fasting eating out.  No restaurants, no drive thru's, nothing to eat or drink that isn't made at home.  We are on day 10 and honestly a little surprised at how well we're doing.  Hubby has been tempted more than I have, which is funny because I'm usually the one that brings up going out.  But finding something new to cook every day has been a fun adventure!  Since I love to cook, this is my kind of fun.  And, no excuses for not cooking!

The other day I made breaded pork chops in the oven.  Now, I grew up in Texas and pork chops fried / grilled / broiled or any other way is a staple around here.  My favorite has always been fried pork chops, fried potatoes and some kind of green veggie.  Mmmm...  My point is, I made this new recipe and it was amazing!  I used boneless chops this time, but these could be made with bone in as well.  I found the recipe here, which is my favorite recipe website.  There just isn't much you can't find on there.  Here is one of the BEST pork chop recipes I've found ~

******************************************************

Famous Pork Chops

By: HAULBUR

"My family loves these and they fall apart when you cut them with your fork."
 
Ingredients


1 cup crushed butter crackers
garlic salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
3 eggs, beaten
4 pork chops
1/2 cup butter

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

In a shallow bowl combine crushed crackers, garlic salt and pepper; mix well. In a separate bowl beat eggs.

Dip your pork chops in the egg batter and then in the cracker mixture. Place the pork chops in a casserole dish. Place chunks of the butter around the pork chops. Cover and bake for 45 minutes.

******************************************************


Wow, were they really yummy.  I didn't measure the butter.  I just spread it around the pan all around the pork chops.  I only needed 2 eggs, and I had 6 chops.  If you get a chance, try this recipe!

And, speaking of recipes...  I have a new snack I absolutely LOVE.  This is another recipe from the same place.  It's super easy~

8 oz cream cheese, softened
5 oz jar of green olives
garlic salt to taste

I put this in the Cuisinart and it comes you great.  I read it's not good to use a mixer because it whips it too much.  But I got the exact consistency I wanted with my food processor.  Oh, and if you choose to mix by hand, be sure to chop the olives up really well.  I serve it with Pepperidge Farm crackers, the ones that come 4 different crackers in a box.  This one is added to my official "football snacks" recipe collection.  Maybe sometime soon I'll share that collection with you.  :-)

Today, we've spent hanging out at home.  We have Addi here with us, she's our youngest grandchild.  She was 20 months this week.  Wow, I can't believe she is almost 2 years old!  Otherwise, my agenda included making honey pancakes for breakfast, a recipe I found here.  And starting beef tips in gravy for dinner in the crockpot.  That recipe was more, what do I have in the pantry I can throw together?

The beef tips I had some smallchuck beef steaks in the freezer so I cut them in to chunks, threw in the crockpot with a can of cream of mushroom soup, an envelope of dry onion soup, a can of milk and an envelope of brown gravy mix.  I'll cook it all day and possibly add a little more liquid depending on how the gravy comes out.  I will make egg noodles to serve it over, with some asparagus I got from a friend. 

But that wasn't even what I'd planned to share.  I was sitting here surfing the net when I realized my feet were cold.  So I got out a couple of skeins of yarn I had from other projects and promptly crocheted myself these:




I am so happy with them!  They were super easy and made up super quick.  :-)  Now, my feet are warm and cozy while I work on sewing up some Valentine's Day dresses for my granddaughters.  For a fairly lazy day, it's turned out to be pretty productive!

I hope you had a good Sunday.  Sleeping in this morning made me very thankful for Saturday services at our church.  I hope you stay warm and cozy.  Blessing to ya'll!

Living the Blessed Life!

~ Jesi
"Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours."  ~ Mark 11:24

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I'd love those comfy looking slippers! Mine are store bought and a bit tight. :-)

I love anything I can throw in a crock pot.

btw I came here fron xanga. blb